AI technology drives bundling of all Norwegian Ice Hockey
October 5, 2020
Commercial Sports Media has agreed a ground-breaking deal with commercial broadcaster TV2 on behalf of Norway`s top ice hockey organisations. The deal includes all content involving Norwegian national teams, professional leagues, amateur leagues, junior and youth matches. The agreement happened at a time when TV2 strategically has decided to further focus on domestic content and Norwegian ice hockey was well positioned to benefit from the new focus thanks to early implementation of AI-based live production across the country. The AI production is being handled by company Sportway.
Vegard Jansen Hagen, sports editor at TV 2:
– Norwegian sports are TV 2’s home turf. A long-term partnership with a key national sport such as ice hockey feel both essential and crucial.
– For our editorial team, it represents a most exciting opportunity. TV 2’s sports rights portfolio stretches wide beyond Champions League and Tour de France – our passion burns just as strongly for own national treasures. We are solid as visiting broadcasters, but we are even better in our home arena.
– TV2 has shown a great interest in continuing to build the popularity of Norwegian Hockey on all levels. They have proven to be a partner with capabilities to deliver on these promises. Norwegian Elitehockey has huge digital ambitions and we are looking forward to a 10-year -journey where we work together to build world class experiences not only on TV and mobile, but also in the arenas, says Njål Berge Chairman of the Norwegian Elitehockey”
Norwegian Icehockey Federation:
– Norwegian Icehockey Federation has been an early adopter of AI technology, which has helped us to grow the interest for our sport overall and also put us in a favourable position in the evolving media landscape, states Kristoffer Holm, general secrerary.
CSM two years ago negotiated a six-year-deal with TV2 on the men´s top ice hockey league. Following the interrupted season due to Covid an open and constructive discussion followed between the parties, which ended in a deeper and longer commitment from TV2 including the top league up to the 29/30 season.
Earlier this year CSM entered as a commercial partner and part owner of AI-focused production company Sportway, that already had installed AI-technology in 30 Norwegian ice hockey arenas. This early adoption to new technology made it possible to offer a complete package of Norwegian ice hockey content.
– Live streaming of youth events and lower league matches have been a strong trend in the Nordics for a few years. There are a number of systems in the market, but most of them are based on volunteers doing the actual camera work, says Jonas Persson, CEO of Commercial Sports Media.
– Sportway goes straight to AI-productions where we include already generated live statistics from the match secretariats into the live streams, continues Jonas Persson. From a marketing perspective this is a strong proposition since we know well in advanced which leagues and matches that will be available in the offering towards consumers.
In the season of 20/21 TV2 will support the live streaming service norshockey.tv in a marketing effort and next season TV2 will launch their dedicated amateur and youth sport service MyGame.
In Sweden Sportway has a joint company with Swedish Icehockey Federation that in season 20/21 will offer AI live feeds from 162 arenas. The content distributed to consumers through
MORE NEWS FROM US
CSM at SPORTEL Monaco 2023
The 33rd edition of SPORTEL Monaco has wrapped up. The team of Commercial Sports Media met a large…
DMC Production Adds Danish Professional Football to Nordic Centralized Production Network
DMC Production and Superligaen A/S have formed Matchday Production, a new production company based in Copenhagen. Starting in…